Cauliflower Base Pizza
Can you imagine eating pizza without the gut luggage and lethargy that follows, but still with all the classic toppings you love? Enter the incredibly versatile cauliflower, in brilliant disguise here, as a delicious, nutritious base for this much-loved favourite dish. We've topped our healthy cauliflower pizza with olives, capsicum and cheese, but use whatever toppings you desire.
- 1 (600g) head cauliflower
- 1⁄4 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup (30g) almond meal
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place a pizza stone or upturned baking tray in the oven and preheat the oven to 220°C. Lightly grease and line a 26cm pizza tray with baking paper.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Line a colander with muslin cloth or a clean tea towel.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and blend until finely chopped into tiny grains.
- Cook the cauliflower for 1 minute, so it still has a bite to it but is not completely raw. Pour into the prepared colander and set aside to drain and cool slightly.
- Bundle the cauliflower up in the muslin cloth or tea towel and squeeze out to remove any excess liquid.
- To prepare the base, place the cauliflower and the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well to combine. Spoon the mixture in the centre of the pizza tray and press out to make an even base.
- Place the pizza tray onto the preheated pizza stone or upturned baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and beginning to crisp up.
- Add your desired sauce and toppings. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the cheese softens and begins to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and slice into pizza slices to serve.