By Carla Oates
Traditional gnocchi is delicious, but it can also feel a little like heavy gut luggage...
When writing the Gut Guide, Carla came up with a different version—one that's lighter, gluten-free and fibre-rich. You'll adore these little parcels of loveliness with pesto alone, but adding coconut and almond milk will give you something richer and creamier.
- For the gnocchi:
- 400g cauliflower stalk & florets, broken into large pieces
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot, plus additional for rolling 15g nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 free-range organic egg white (optional)
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee or extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Creamy Pesto Sauce:
- 125ml tinned coconut milk
- 125ml almond milk
- 90g chunky pesto (We love the Pumpkin Seed & Herb Pesto on page 244 of The Beauty Chef Gut Guide)
- Fresh basil, finely shredded, or micro herbs (optional), to serve
- Freshly ground black pepper, to serve
- Steam the cauliflower for 10 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Put in a medium bowl and add all remaining ingredients except the ghee. Stir to combine.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Dust a clean kitchen bench, and your hands, with some arrowroot.
- Divide the gnocchi mixture into quarters. Using your hands, gently roll one quarter at a time into 2 cm (3/4 in) thick logs. Dip a small sharp knife in some arrowroot and cut each log into 2 cm (3/4 in) pieces. Gently squeeze each piece in the centre to give it the classic gnocchi shape, then transfer to the prepared tray.
- Melt the ghee in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the gnocchi in batches for 1–2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To prepare the creamy pesto sauce, pour the coconut and almond milk into a frying pan and simmer over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes until reduced a bit and slightly thicker. Add the pesto, stirring to combine, and heat through. Add the gnocchi to the pan and ladle with sauce to coat.
- Serve the gnocchi in shallow serving bowls scattered with shredded basil and topped with freshly ground black pepper.